Monday, December 2, 2013

Three Months In // One Month Later

It's been about a month since my last post and a lot has been going on in my life here in Tivoli. 

School is still the same as always. Although I am becoming better at communicating in my new language, the courses in school have a lot of depth and are very difficult to understand. I find myself dozing off during lectures in philosophy and day dreaming when the class is solving a trigonometry equation that's covering the chalk board at the front of class. To keep myself as busy as possibly I usually have my nose in some kind of book during class; it changes between The Lord of The Ring series, my Italian in Three Months workbook, or the Italian version of Oscar Wilde's, The Ghost of Canterville. 

I also keep myself busy away from school. Every Monday, Thursday, and Friday I go to volleyball late at night. It's a blast, and my teammates are wonderful. I haven't been able to participate in any games yet which bums me out sometimes, but they're working on organizing my residency among other necessities in order for me to compete. 

After school I head home and study more if my brain doesn't feel like it's going to explode. I find myself drawing a lot, otherwise I'm planning my trips I want to take throughout Italy or Europe. I've been finding events to go to in Rome during the holidays and would love to go to The Vatican for the midnight mass on Christmas Eve. There is also a grand Christmas tree in the center of San Pietro I am dying to see at night. An I've skating rink just went up at Piazza Sant'Angelo and I can't wait to go skating with my friends or family. Every time I think about I get giddy. Even though they'll probably make me put on a pair of figure skates or the plastic boots that sit on a piece of rusting metal, I know it's going to be a blast. Piazza Navona during the holidays has wonderful a Christmas gifts, so I'm hoping to head there to get a little something for a special someone; that could be you. They have nativity scenes set up all around Rome, and I'm determined to find my favorite one. 

I'm sure if you follow me on any other social network you more than likely saw pictures of me in special little place known as Israel. A couple weeks ago I had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go to the holy land with my mother to accompany her on a business trip. Although I never thought I would be able to see my mother in the first six months, let alone at all in the ten months I am here in Italy. Fortunately, the stars aligned and miracles were made, because Rotary granted my permission to join her on the important business trip. 


On our short, but jammed packed three-day trip we met with director and film producer Simcha Jacobovici. With him we met an Islamic art collector and archeologist who dug his first artifact when he was only eight years old. He showed us his private collection with pieces from over 6,000 years ago. It was spectacular.

The next two days we went to Jerusalem and toured the city at a sprinting pace with the sweetest guide ever. He showed the most amazing locations with the best views and even more amazing history. Our tour guide, who I would rather call a friend made the trip even more special for my mom and I, and it wouldn't have been the same with out him.



Although it was three short days, I was so blessed to been able to see my amazing mother. Snuggling with her for those few nights may have been the best part of the whole trip. With out her and my dad, nothing would be possible, so it's them I have to thank and who I am entirely grateful. 

There are many new things I have realized I am thankful this year. During the past week and Thanksgiving I really took the time to ponder on my life; where I am and how I arrived to where I am today. I have become the person I am today by surrounding my life with people who make me happy and influence my life in the greatest positivity. Among the many things I am thankful for, this year I am most thankful for the relationships I have in my life. With out surrounding love and positivity my life isn't the best it can be. Being away from all of you, I have realized how important you really mean to me. You are an important part of my life and happiness, so truly, it's you I have to thank. For everything you have done for me or not, thank you. 


More photos from the past month.

Thanksgiving at my friend Leigh's house. We cooked and baked all day. It was perfect. A Thanksgiving I will never forget... even though the turkey was dry.



Parca Villa Gregoriana near my house in Tivoli

I made sugar cookies for Thanksgiving.  I think I was the only one that liked them.

Grandma Margaret's Zucchini Bread another day. 

Villa d'Este / / I played Lizzie Mcguire all day. Relived my childhood in these gardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment