Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Who? What? When? Where? Why?

After my first post I realized I was so excited to add it to my blog that I didn't even say what all this is about! Forgive me, because I think I'm about to answer all the questions you might have.

Beginning on September 7th I will be boarding a plane to Tivoli, Italy as a Rotary Youth Exchange Ambassador. The moment I arrive (on the 8th) I will indulge into a whole new culture and language. The culture shock will hit me, but Rotary has prepared me they best they can. The rest I will learn how to adapt to, and I can not wait!

My host club and family are located less than an hour east of Rome, in Tivoli. From what I can tell through the amazing Google it looks like an amazing place to spend a year in.

My host family is already wonderful, and I can't wait to meet the Semprini's. My parents names' are Marco and Anna Maria, both doctors as my 16 year-old sister tells me. Her name is Eleonora. Unfortunately, I won't get to meet her this fall. She will be hosted by Canada as a part of RYE as well. I have a brother, Lorenzo, who is 14. I have been talking to both of them through Facebook. Eleonora's best advice to me was, "You must not be scared about Italian's kind of expression, we usually scream and gesticulate, but we are not bad:)" I couldn't help but laugh. I'm glad she warned me. I also have a 5 year-old sister, Aurora. I can't wait to meet her.

School starts on September 15, and I will be going back to high school. Since I already graduated, it will not count towards anything back in the US. It is a gap year, and when I return I will attend the University of Minnesota.

I knew if I decided not to Rotary, I would have regretted it in my future. Opportunities like this one don't happen very often, and I have learned to not be afraid of the unknown. You never know what it will have to offer. Traveling to a place I have never been is barely testing the water. I'm want to dive right it, but it's about slowly emerging myself so I have the best experience possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment