Monday, October 21, 2013

Miei Amici // Mia Zia e Miei Cugine // Roma

I've had a few people worried, because I didn't post last weekend. Don't fret, I've been busy and enjoying my life here. Two weeks fly by and before I know it I'm looking back at the memories I've created with great friends and my host family. My Italian is getting so much better. Communicating is becoming easier, and my friends continue to tell me how good I've gotten at speaking their tongue. I love when they tell me week after week I keep getting better. I speak more, and sometimes surprise them when I actually know what's going on. Honestly, I surprise myself more than anyone knows. 

A couple Saturday's ago I went shopping with some friends. After school I took the bus home with my friend Lucilla. Lucilla went on exchange last year to Colorado so she speaks English with me. She showed me all her things from back in the States. I loved to see her family and see all the places she was able to visit. Although it made me miss home a little bit, I loved to see her glow and she showed me pictures of her host family. I bond with her, because she understands everything I go through while on exchange. We ate lunch at her house and played Just Dance afterwards. When more friends arrived we left and headed to go shopping. We met more friends at the mall, and before I knew it there was about ten of us. That didn't stop me from shopping! I bought a few things: sweatshirt, flannel, hat, knit sweater, and the complete series of Lord of The Ring shoved into one big book. I love it! Lucilla also gave me one of her books. It's Oscar Wilde's, The Ghost of Canterville. One side is in English and the other is in Italian. It takes me a long time to get through one page, but it's perfect with helping me learn how to read Italian. I've been reading it during school to keep me occupied. 

At H&M with my girl friends. Being silly with our animal hats and mittens!


After a day of shopping I got home around dinner time and quickly changed to go to dinner with my parents and Aurora. We went to a friends house who lives in Tivoli's center. We are a delicious meal that reminded me of Thanksgiving. There were multiple courses, wine and champagne, and amazing desserts afterwards. I was in heaven and felt a little bit at home. Although I thought my stomach was going to explode, I couldn't stop eating the delicious cheeses and meats. I was in heaven. I went to sleep that night knowing I'd be full until I went to bed the following day. 

Last week I went out with friends after school. We hung out around town, ate pizza, and had drinks. We were able to stay out later, because we didn't have school the next day. I had a blast, and it was nice to get out on the weekday. It doesn't happen very often, so I enjoyed every minute I had out with my friends. 






The next morning I slept in until 11:00. I had a small breakfast and coffee, then at noon my brother and I walked to Nonna's for lunch and cards. We ate pasta (of course) and it was delicious (obviously). Afterwards Nonna and Lorenzo taught me how to play Italian card games. It was a challenge to learn and explain the rules in a different language, but Lorenzo and I succeeded. I learned how to play and I loved the new games I learned. Nonna's friend came for a visit and we left several minutes after she arrived.

On the walk home Lorenzo and I talked about our favorite season. We both said that we don't have a favorite season, but they are all unique for their own reasons. I told him I miss fall, because the weather is perfect and I miss the apple and pumpkins and Halloween and the leaves changing. He said he loved summer because he goes the ocean. I explained how our equivalent to the ocean are our lakes. I enjoyed telling him a little bit about home.

This view never gets old. And I'm going to capture it as often as possible.

The rest of the week flew by, because I knew by the end of it I was going to be in Rome! On Saturday, I woke up early in the morning and my host mom and I drove into the city. She dropped me off at I hotel on the edge of Rome and from there I took a taxi to Trastevere where Marissa apartment is. When I arrived, Anna was waiting for me outside. I was so excited I couldn't believe she was there. I celebrating in her arms and we screamed like little girls. I think the taxi driver got a kick out of us, because he watched until we went inside. Although it hasn't even been two months that I've been away from family, emotionally it feels like a lifetime. Seeing Marissa, Anna, and Julie was exactly what I needed when I was feeling homesick for the first time in Tivoli.

Around noon we left the apartment, grabbed a quick breakfast across the street, and then hopped on a tram that brought us to the center of Rome. I was able to see the Capitol, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, The Colosseum, and many more sites. We took a tour through ruins that were found buried under a basement. It was a great way to learn about the history of Rome. There is so much history buried beneath it's surface. It's was amazing!


Trevi Fountain (above) // Pantheon (below)




Piazza Navona

Trajan's Column // I was able to learn about the inscriptions that wrap around the stone. I also had the closet view.

Threw my coin in, made my wish, and one day... I will return!




The Colosseum 



We got gelato and walked around some more to different sites, markets, and piazza's. When it was getting dark we sat down in an Irish pub and had snacks and drinks then took the tram back to Marissa's. The rest of the night we drank wine, played cards, and ate Grandma Margaret's homemade pretzels. It was a perfect, laid-back night.

The next morning we slowly woke up and went to the market in Trastevere. It had everything and anything you could imagine; for cheap. I bargained with some men and bought a Pashmina scarf. For lunch we ate delicious lamb kebabs. They are the Italian equivalency to American Chipotle burritos. You can put what ever you want inside, and they are the size of a small baby. 

After lunch we took a tram towards the center of Rome. We bought some more gelato and found a great art market. There was a lot of amazing jewelry by wonderful artists, and I couldn't stop myself from buying a few pieces. I would share a photo, but they are going to become the perfect gifts for family and friends. I can not wait to share!

We returned to the apartment late afternoon and just relaxed on the couch and enjoyed the last couple hours together. While Marissa studied, Anna, Julie, and I walked to a nearby cafe and bought drinks and relaxed. When it was time to go, I grabbed my things from the apartment, said my goodbyes, and grabbed a taxi. It was bittersweet, but I was very lucky to be able to spend time with family. I am very fortunate for all my families, blood and host. With out them, I wouldn't be able to do the things I have. I am blessed for the people in my life. 

Lucky shot // I think he needs a few teeth whitened... I hope you laugh as hard as I did!

I am forever grateful.
xo.


No comments:

Post a Comment