Friday, September 13, 2013

Bigliardino

Where do I begin? When the plane arrived in Tivoli, all I could say was wow. I am definitely in a different country. Everything is beautiful- from the people to the mountains to the trees and to the cobblestone street.

Tivoli is wonderful.
My family is so nice.
The home is small, but perfect. It is from WWI.

ARRIVAL

I arrived on Sunday morning a little before 7:00. I got off the plane and started sweating. I was nervous, it was hot, I was wearing three layers, and had to carry fours bags around looking for my family. I looked like a fool. At first I couldn't find them, so I started nervously sweating some more. Finally after about 10 minutes, which felt like an eternity, I found their faces in the crowd. I was so relieved. Kisses and hugs to all when we met. We went to the bar and bought coffee and treats. I had my first cappuccino only minutes after arriving. I now know that I like sugar in my coffee, but it was still delicious with out.

HOME

Tivoli is only about 20 minutes from Rome, but it takes about an hour when there is traffic. When we got home, we brought my bags up the stairs to the fourth level. It's safe to say I overpacked. Italians dress very simply and have minimally. They couldn't believe what I brought. I was slightly embarrassed. With Aurora's help, I unpacked my bags. She took the clothes out of the bag and helped me count, uno... due... tre... And I would say one... two... three... After unpacking all I could think about was showering, so I did exactly that. It felt so amazing, and sleep sounded just as good. I went to bed around noon, slept through lunch and woke up around 15:00 (3:00pm).

Around 19:00 (7:00pm) I got dressed for a party. Little did I know the party was for me. It was at a house in the mountainside at my counselors house. There were so many people there. Family, friends,  and kids my age were all there to greet me. It was overwhelming, but I was very appreciative. Everyone was so nice. I ate pizza, cold pasta, cake, the best mozzarella in the world, and watermelon. Luckily there were two girls who spoke a little English so I talked to them.

MONDAY

On Monday, luckily, we did not have school. I went to the mall with Anna Maria, Lorenzo, and Aurora. I did not buy anything, because I was still in culture shock mode and I did not know what I wanted or needed. They asked me why I didn't want anything, but I didn't know how to respond. We ate McDonald's for lunch. It was not my favorite meal I have had while I am here. When we got home, I realized I didn't buy an universal adapter for the wall plug-in. Pretty dumb of me.

Later in the day, Lorenzo and I walked around Tivoli. He brought me to the important streets and showed me the big attractions. All the streets are very narrow and uneven. Everything is old, very old. Yet it is all so beautiful. At the end of our city you can look over Rome. It is a breathtaking view. Unfortunately, this photo does not do justice.

Rome is hiding to the far left. From this view I am able to see Basilica di San Pietro. It barely peaks out of the horizon.

TUESDAY

Today was the first day of school. I started at 9:10. I went there with my parents and we had to figure out what class I would join. We talked with many teachers and the head master. After about an hour of debate they decided to put me into class 5C. I believe it is the highest grade level. The other students are 17-18 years old. Everyone is very nice. We stay in one class all day. The teachers move classrooms. The first week of school we did not really do anything. I also do not understand very much, so I have to very nice friends who will translate for me when it is needed. 


Lucilla, myself, and Margherita. They both went on exchange last year, so they speak English well.

After school, I walked with Lorenzo to town and watched a bunch of guys play bigliardino (foosball). It was very funny. They get very excited and into their game. After one bar, we went onto the next and I watched them play some more. They asked if I wanted to, but my skills wouldn't  have compared. 

WEDNESDAY

How my day went:

-breakfast
-school
-lunch
-volleyball
-dinner

I tried volleyball. It was very fun, but late at night. All the players were very nice. They were around my age level and about the same skill level. 

THURSDAY

Today I was very tired. After school I slept for six hours. I have still not caught up with the time difference. I always want to sleep during the day, and at night I am always up at 3:00 and never fall back asleep. It is hard to get used to.

FRIDAY

After school I went with friends to get gelato. It was delicious and nothing like American ice cream or our version of gelato for that matter. We walked around the old part of Tivoli. Again, I slept for about 6 hours during the day.

Slowly, I am learning Italian. Quickly, I am losing my English. I have forgotten so many simple English words. If you can't tell, my grammar is also very poor. It amazing how much changes in one week.

F.







No comments:

Post a Comment