Monday, September 30, 2013

Rotary Orientation // Fognano, Ravenna

I have created the most memories and lasting friendships over this past weekend than I have ever made in my life.

In one weekend I was able to meet kids my age from almost every continent in this spectacular world. I met friends from Finland, Brazil, Canada, Australia, and South Africa... just to name a few places.

Friday afternoon my host dad drove me to the Rome train station where I met up with six other girls living in the area.
From left to right: The husband of our counselor, Denny, Selena, Gabriella (our counselor), Lily, myself, Fernanda
Below: Becca, Iitza

We hopped on the train and headed to Firenze (Florence) where we would switch trains to finish our four hour trip to Fognano, Ravenna.

I was very excited for my first Italian train ride and Gabriella was sure to capture the moment.
I sat by a wonderful girl named Selena from Washington. We found out we have so much in common and didn't stop talking the entire way there. I can't wait to see her again soon!

Selena and I waiting for our train in Fognano to return home.

When we arrived in Fognano we walked from the small station to Istituto Emiliani. It was a large gated Montasery where nuns were roaming every direction you looked.

One of the nuns walking through the garden of olive trees. 
The hallway. Each door led to a room with multiple beds. 
My bedroom which I shared with a dozen other girls. It reminded me of the movie, Madeline.

Outside, exchangers flew their flags from the windows.


We were some of the first exchangers to arrive. We played volleyball in the courtyard and mingled with the others as they arrived. It was the first time speaking English in full sentences since I had arrived in Italy. By the end of the first day I had started to lose my voice. It was a great feeling for people to understand and connect with me. 

Emma, Sarah, and myself. Fellow Minnesotans!

The first night we ate dinner in the large dining hall. It reminded me of Hogwarts. The food was not anything to write home about, but the people I ate with definitely were.

After dinner we all congregated in a meeting hall where we went over the rules and guidelines of Rotary. I've gone over them a few too many times now, but a refresher was nice. We sang karaoke songs. All 108 students, arm in arm, sang together. It was marvelous.

I didn't get much sleep that night, but I am completely okay with it. I wandered the halls of the montesary and stayed up until 2:00am talking with the other girls. 

Breakfast in the morning was similar to the dinner before... Nothing special. After breakfast we headed outside to trade pins with the other exchangers and took a large group picture. It was so much fun and I am happy to say my jacket is a couple pounds heavier than when I arrived. 







Sporting our decked out blazers. 

In the afternoon we took buses to the top of a mountain in Ravenna. We hiked trails and explored caves where Gypsum was excavated. We learned about the history of the mineral and its uses throughout Italian history.
Sporting the American flag.

A typical exchange student photo.


The view from the top of the mountain.

One of the townspeople's dogs sipping from the quarry inside a cave. 

The quarry inside the cave. 

Another view of a cave.

Becca enjoying her Nutella from the dining hall. Don't intervene with exchangers and their food. Ever.

My little Victoria from Mexico!

The Minnesotans (Sarah and myself) with the Aussies (Dalton and Dylan)


Minnesotans! Ezra, myself, and Sarah
I can't wait to see her again! xo Many wonderful memories


My fantastic packing job. One small backpack and my purse, I am proud.
When I got home from the weekend, I met my family at the train station in Rome. I was very happy to see their faces waiting for me. I was so tired. I got home around 6:00pm and went straight to bed. 

It was a great weekend to say the least. And a memorable one. I can't wait to meet up with the new friends I met. I know where ever I am in the world, I will always have someone's home to welcome me if I need them. It's a very unexplainable feeling I have inside of me. It's a certain type of comfort that I feel. It's best explained as that "home" feeling. I'm warm inside and filled with love from all over the world. Love is universal. Love is rewarding. Love is everywhere. 

I love you. 

xo. Frannie

P.S. When I returned home from Fognano my parents said my Italian is improving a lot. Today at school I told my friends all about my weekend. They also said my Italian is improving! Woohoo.
Go me. I hope you all are proud of me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment