Saturday, September 14, 2013

Stepping out of Boundaries

Today after school I drove with my parents and sister to the west coast of Italy. Our first stop was to a friends beach house. I didn't know this was going to be part of my day, so when we arrived I was so excited. It was a nice treat for the day. We went to the beach and I ate pizza and a sandwich with only salami. It was fantastic. The food was scrumptious and the view was impeccable. A half hour went by and it was time for Marco and I to leave to go to the next town.





I went to a Rotaract Conference and participated in the Seminar of New Generations. It was a large meeting where all of the important heads of Rotary District 2080 spoke and discussed guidelines, missions, and goals of the new Interact and Rotaract Club. I know this all sounds confusing and that is because it is. It is even worse when everyone speaks in Italian, but this is the only way I am going to learn the lovely language.






The conference lasted about three or four hours. I listened to many important people as I sat between Pietro (Head of Commissions and a good family friend) and my father. Little did I know that by the end of the seminar I would be up there in front of everyone speaking about my experience with RYE and why I decided to join Rotary. I was surprisingly calm as I spoke in front of about 50 adults, and by the end I was so happy Pietro and Marco had me go up there. It was a big step out of my boundaries, but was one that needed to happen. 



The resort where the conference was held is gorgeous. I wanted to hop in the pool so badly. It looked so heavenly, but listening to important men and women in my club was also pretty special. What I thought would be a bunch of exchange students ended up being one exchange student and a large number of intimidating chairmen and women. 



View of Sperlonga



Nothing better than a sunset over the ocean.


After the conference, we headed back to the beach house, and met with friends and family to go to dinner. Pietro and his family were there, Marco's cousin, and more friends and family. It was great to meet more wonderful people. It was the first time ordering at a restaurant. Pietro's wife helped me choose, because she speaks English very well (I later found out that their kids do as well). Everyone shared multiple dishes of antipasti to start and I had amazing pasta topped with squid and caviar as my entree.

Now here I am at 2:30 in the morning writing my blog, because I was so excited to share my wonderful day. It's time to shut down. Until next time. 

F.

No comments:

Post a Comment